Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Bird D'pot

  
 
 
 Bong State Recreational Area
 
Eastern Kingbird
 
 
The Eastern Kingbird, (Tyrannus tyrannus), is a large tyrant flycatcher native to North America.
Adults are grey-black on the upperparts with light underparts; they have a long black tail with a white end and long pointed wings. They have a red patch on their crown, seldom seen. They are of average size for a kingbird, at 19–23 cm (7.5–9 in), 33–38 cm (13–15 in) across the wings and weighing 33-55 g (1.2-1.9 oz).[1]
The call is a high-pitched, buzzing and unmusical chirp, frequently compared to an electric fence.[2]
 
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Aves
Order:Passeriformes
Family:Tyrannidae
Genus:Tyrannus
Species:T. tyrannus
 
 
  
Here you can see the signature white tipped tail ...
 
 

7 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful bird shots for the day, Andrea!! Hope you're enjoying a great weekend!!

Danielle said...

Great shot in flight!!

Brian King said...

Nice shots! I don't see Kingbirds that often.

Stewart M said...

What a splendid looking bird - its looks rather "long" - I think that must be to do with the shape of the tail

I had a look at look at your Kestrel post as well - what a good set of pictures.

Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

Elephant's Child said...

That bird on the wing is a stunning shot. Thank you so much - and I was pleased to hear that another country has 'unmusical' birds.

Anni said...

I love the last one of the Kingbird in flight. But ALL your photos are stunning...the 2nd one down from the top of your post, I like showing off its tail markings.

Thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot this weekend. I'm a little behind in paying my visits as I had a very busy weekend and wasn't online much!!! Your sharing is always much appreciated!!

Edna B said...

Gosh, you have so many beautiful birds that I've never even seen. Wonderful shots. Now I'm off to my doctor appointment. Nothing serious, just a check up. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Rain Frances Creations ... Spoons

Spoons (Background from Google Images) Background from Google Images) What made me think of this nursery rhyme from my youth many moons ago?...