Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday


The Northern Shoveler

This is the first time I have seen the Northern Shoveler so it was quite exciting when I realized what I was looking at.  He was mixed in with the Coots and I am lucky I didn't miss him.  Although he was far from me, I could see that his coloring was different than the Mallard, but I couldn't see right away his telling feature, his spatula bill.




 I finally spotted a Mrs. Shoveler ... she looks like most of the female ducks, a mottled brown, but also has the spatula bill ...



 So that's my tail for today ... a pretty exciting one for me.  Hope you enjoyed :)

Andrea

7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Andrea, the Northern Shoveler is a handsome duck. Wonderful sighting and photos. BTW, thanks so much for your visit and comment. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Gayle said...

Tale of Two Ducks ;)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

great that you saw both the male and female Shoveler ducks Andrea.

Elephant's Child said...

What a treat.

Michelle said...

That is quite a bill!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Loved your tail of the day - I have never seen these ducks before!
Wren x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great find. I love getting "first time" photos of birds.

Rain Frances Creations ... TADD, Boots

BOOTS So, we have boots on the ground all over the world, but no active fighting on our part.  Thank Heaven for peace.   Wish I could say th...