Monday, July 18, 2016

Through My Eyes


Bits and Pieces of Bangkok

We didn't really see much of Bangkok except to drive through it to see the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo, but some of what we saw from the taxi, Tuk Tuk and Train was well worth sharing.  It just begins to give you a sense of the pride the Thai people take in their city and in their King.
We arrived at night and went immediately to our hotel ...

Our hotel, The Nasa Vegas, was pretty and clean, but not the greatest ... we stayed there because it is right next to the train station that both took us into the city and, that night, took us to the airport.

A lighted street by the hotel ...

The next morning Barb and the girls and I checked out and left out luggage in my sons room to pick up later when we left for the airport.  Then off to the train station ...

The trains were modern, fast and comfortable ...

View of city through the train through the train window ...


I am not sure where we were when we got off ... The kids knew of a few good restaurants in one of the neighborhoods so that is where we were headed for Brunch :)

This Memorial was for the Thai Military.  We didn't get close enough to read the details, but it was impressive from a distance.



The street looking out of the window of the restaurant ...

And really good food ...



From the restaurant we took two taxies (the taxi could only hold three people) and drove through the city to the Temple.  We were quickly in the Governmental Center (their version of Washington DC) which was very impressive.

There are pictures of the King everywhere ...



















Thailand is the land of the Fence ... they have fences of every size and shape ... in fact, some are so beautiful, they become art.

Our destination ... The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo ( to see the temple post click here)

Our next stop was to go to a shopping mall in the center of Bangkok ...





Before we shopped, we saw one of our girls off to a retreat on another Thai Island.

Shopping Mall ... Believe it or not, I didn't take any pictures in the mall.  Hmmm ... I must have been busy shopping :)

This was the beginning of the end of our trip to Thailand.  This is the Train station from the outside.  Bangkok was an impressive city and I know we only scratched the surface.  I look forward to experiencing more when I return.

We went back to our hotel, grabbed a bite to eat and then off to Suvarnabhumi Air Port (Bangkok Airport) for our long flight home.  Thailand, if it is in the cards, I will be back ...

Andrea

(also linked to ...)

3 comments:

Edna B said...

Your photos are wonderful. I love that beautiful arch over the street. That is gorgeous!

It is wicked hot here and I'm not liking it so much. Pogo is itching and I don't know why. It all started when the temps got so hot. Anyway, he has a doctor appointment tomorrow.

Me, I'm surviving. Every now and then, I put the A/C on for a few minutes to cool the room down. Next month should be better. At least I hope so.

Well, now I'm off to change out of these clothes. Jammies are more comfy. A little breeze is picking up so maybe Pogo and I will sit out and/or eat din din out on the porch. Hmmm, that's a fun thought.

Pogo sends woofs and a big lick for Izzi. You have a wonderful evening my friend. Hugs, Edna B.

Taken For Granted said...

Thank you for the fine photo tour of Bangkok.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you.
I am SURE you will be back - and look forward to travelling with you.

Rain Frances Creations ... Appliances

  Appliances One has to stretch the imagination to come up with appliance art.  Sorry, no photos to share this week.  I am not in the habit ...