Monday, March 21, 2016

Through my Lens


In February I went to Thailand to attend that wedding of my son and his Lisu wife.  The Lisu are Mountain tribes engaged in mostly agriculture and have a varied and colorful culture.  My son's wife is from a Christian group who farm various crops.  The wedding was traditional and was held in her parents home.



   
 Food preparation for the Wedding Feast ...



I and my travel companions wore the traditional Lisu dress out of respect for the brides family ...

The main room in the house was decorated for the wedding (no shoes allowed in the house so we had a barefoot wedding)
:)
   



The Bride, Groom and daughter ...


After the wedding everyone put an envelope in the gift box and then there was feasting ...

The children were fascinated with the American guests and especially the blond hair ...

As in every Christian wedding there is drinking and dancing the rest of the day ...
The Lisu people were gracious and friendly, welcoming us into their fold with open arms.
This was an experience I will always treasure ...

Andrea

8 comments:

NCSue said...

Fascinating!
I hope you'll come drop by http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/03/spring-has-finally-sprung.html and link up.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW! Yes it must have been a wonderful experience and itwas lovely that you dressed in their tradional costume for the wedding.

Edna B said...

Andrea, the photos are wonderful. You are right, this was the experience of a lifetime to be cherished always. I did not realize there was a daughter. How wonderful. I wish your son and Mint a happy and beautiful life together.

Do you have snow today? It has been snowing here since around 10:30 last night, but now it is slowing down, and hopefully it will be stopped soon. My plants were not thrilled with all this new snow.

It's supposed to warm up a bit starting tomorrow, so Pogo and I will wait till then or maybe Wednesday to go out to do errands.

I wonder if a soft leg cast would be helpful for Izzi. It might protect her legs until she is fully healed. Hmmm, just a thought.

Now I'm off to finish my blog reading. You and Izzi have a beautiful day, hugs, Edna B.

Mascha said...

So beauty-and colorful... it must been a great celebration. And: I would like to wear a Lisu dress -
Have a good Easter time

Elephant's Child said...

I hope their married life is as bright, colourful and just down-right wonderful as their wedding.

The Queen Jester said...

To be able to live and celebrate with them in their manner, following their customs is an unparalleled experience. This was just priceless and I thank you for sharing the story and the photos.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Andrea, what a thrill, so exciting... and absolutely brilliant that you did not need to worry about what you were going to wear, or indeed what shoes to bring! Congratulations to you all :) Thailand is one of our favourite countries, we just adore the Thai people!
Wren x

NatureFootstep said...

such a wonderful wedding. This gave you good memories for life. The little family are gorgeous :)

Rain Frances Creations ... Appliances

  Appliances One has to stretch the imagination to come up with appliance art.  Sorry, no photos to share this week.  I am not in the habit ...