Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Wild Bird Wednesday

Wild Bird Wednesday #45
Link to Paying Ready Attention

The life of a Red Tail is anything but easy.   This beautiful lady flew into my tree to escape the merciless harassment of the crows.  Having found a quiet spot, she sat there for over an hour ... but, alas, I had to take my dog out so she was disturbed and flew to the next tree.  The movement gave away her location and the pesky crows came back ...

This pair lives in my neighborhood.  I often see them souring overhead and hear them calling to each other.  I am sure there is a nest near by, but I don't look for it ... I want to leave them in peace to raise their young.  Every year we get at least one juvenile exploring the possibility of squirrel ... they haven't learned the hard way yet.  I am sure they are from this pair because they hang around awhile and then they are gone ... hopefully to a better place.










Don't get me wrong ... I love my little flock of smart crows.  But, sometimes I wish they were a little less bully bird :)  Have a  Wonderful WBW!

21 comments:

Sandee said...

Wow! You got some fantastic shots.

Have a terrific day. ☺

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! Crows are awful bullies, but the are great birds!

Happy WBW to you too!

Carletta said...

Really wonderful in flight shots!
I don't understand the crows. I've seen them do that too.

Unknown said...

Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

HansHB said...

Great post for the bird-theme!
Well done!

sunshine said...

Impressive bird.

TexWisGirl said...

she is beautiful. yes, the crows really go after them!

theconstantwalker said...

Fantastic flight shots...

mick said...

Great photos - especially the in-flight ones.

Brian King said...

I'm jealous! I rarely see hawks and when I do, they're not in camera range. Love these shots!

eileeninmd said...

Cool shots of the hawk! I love the flight captures!

Edna B said...

I agree, what a great series of shots you got. Sad to say, I rarely ever see these birds except in photos. They are just beautiful. And yes, the crows are pesky, but they are also quite beautiful. I love your orange kitty in a box photos. Your cat is such a wonderful ham. Pogo hides his face when he see the camera come out. lol.

Thank you for the video tip. I did try it again tonight, but it did not upload. Alas, I'll try again some other time. You have a wonderful night, hugs, Edna B.

Karen said...

Great flight captures!

Elephant's Child said...

How very beautiful. Thank you. I am often torn here - the crows, the currawongs and the magpies are intelligent and often charming. They are also bullies, thieves and murderers when they can get away with it.

Stewart M said...

Really does have a red tail! Nice pictures.

The echidna has a very ancient connection to this part of the world - their relative were here when Australia split off from the rest of the world.

I'm not really sure all of what we see in the bird pictures is cooperation - the cormorants, yes - but I think the egrets are just cashing in!

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

Stewart M - Melbourne

Arija said...

What a pity that there are so many school yard bullies among the birds. Beautiful flight shots.

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE those WINGS!

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Wonderful photos and interesting observations.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Great shots!!
Maybe you should these crows to a seminar about polite behavior.
;)~
HUGZ

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Very nice that you can see them often and they are such lovely Hawks too. I saw 2 Crows after a Red-Shouldered Hawk yesterday, as she took a break from watching over her nest~

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Absolutely stunning photos!!!!!

Rain Frances Creations ... Spoons

Spoons (Background from Google Images) Background from Google Images) What made me think of this nursery rhyme from my youth many moons ago?...