Thursday, April 21, 2022

Thursday Art Date with Rain ... Aviary


 Aviary 
A Large Cage, building or enclosure for keeping Birds in.

The Aviary I am going to show you is at our Raptor Rehab facility.  Housing for a raptor is referred to as a Mew, but the definition fits "aviary" perfectly.  

Below is the mew for our Barred Owl.  He is a permanent resident because he is imprinted on humans so cannot be released to the wild.  

There was a special building for the Rehab birds with several mews of varying sizes in it.  The Great Horned Owl nestlings and branchlings starting out in small cages until they were examined and treated if necessary then they were put in a mew, sometimes alone or with siblings, sometimes with a surrogate Parent GHO, to start preparing them to be released.

The Weathering yard was used to let the birds get outside in the fresh air and sunshine.


The Flight cage was used to allow injured birds to regain their strength and the young birds to learn and practice flight. Part of the process was to allow hunting live game which we provided.  

Another "Aviary" I am connected with is the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin
(Wildlife center featuring all 15 species of cranes) 







The International Crane Foundations has mated pairs of all 15 of the worlds Crane species.  As all Crane populations are decreasing in number and most are considered endangered.  They have a staff that travels to all the different countries where the Cranes are found to help teach them ways to protect the habitat and save the birds.  My friend and I have visited the location on many occasions as well as attending their fund raising events. 

 For more information and pictures of the International Crane Foundation:

 International Crane Foundation

All for now folks ... have a great week :)


Andrea @ From The Sol

 

13 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great aviary and so many super bird photos. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Very nice and perfect for the TAD theme. Have a wonderful day.

Taken For Granted said...

Owls are such wonderful birds. Good to see these birds being well cared for.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you - and all rehabilitators for the important work you do. Huge thanks.

Christine said...

So many types of aviaries, very interesting Andrea!

Tom said...

...your owls are a treat for me, I rarely if ever see them! I hope that you will have a fabulous weekend.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So much good work is done in these facilities. The Crane Foundation in Wisconsin (founded and run by a Canadian) ranks very high on my list of places that I esteem. It played a significant role in the recovery of the Whooping Crane and developed techniques so that they would not imprint on humans or surrogate Sandhill Cranes. It is hard to believe that the population was once below twenty individuals before we woke up to their plight and helped to save them from extinction. As so often happens we push wildlife to the brink and then apply difficult and costly measures to bring them back from the brink, when a little common sense and the willingness to share the world with our fellow beings would not have allowed their situation to become so dire. Bravo for your work and dedication, Andrea.

DVArtist said...

Hi Andrea, I don't have an email for you. The short of it is my 30 year on line business of selling a fabric I developed closed due to covid. The company I had making it simply closed shopped. I tried to fine another textile place but it was a not go. It is 1 year today. Hey life goes on one way or another. Thanks for asking.

Cloudia said...

Thank you so much for visiting so that I might find this wonderful blog I am your fan now and really appreciate all that you are doing with these birds. Aloha

NatureFootstep said...

a gret post Andrea. I expected lots of fine birds on your blog today and am not dissappointed. Seem good to try to help the different ones. At least our crane is not endangered :) There are lots of them :)

Jeanie said...

First, before I forget, thanks for coming over to The Marmelade Gypsy, Andrea. And this aviary fascinates me. I am so intrigued by raptors. To have this opportunity would be so interesting to me. That's especially good news about the international crane foundation. Thanks for sharing that one -- I need to check it out.

Rain said...

You know Andrea, I've never heard of or seen a flight cage, that is just wonderful to help with rehabilitation! The aviaries you showed are so wonderful and the photos of the birds are gorgeous. How nice that you worked with these places, good for you!! ♥♥♥

carol l mckenna said...

Your aviary photography is awesome ~ that owl is Wow~ Xo

Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rain Frances Creations ... Disco

  Saturday Night Live There's John ... and then there's Bugs ... You Choose 😁 Disco was a big part of my younger years and I still...