Thursday, April 6, 2023

Thursday Art & Dinner Date! Folklore

 

Folklore 



Kitsune - Wikipedia

A nine-tailed fox spirit (kyūbi no kitsune) scaring Prince Hanzoku; print by Utagawa KuniyoshiEdo period, 19th century

In Japanese folklorekitsune (, きつねIPA: [kʲi̥t͡sɯne̞] (listen)) are foxes that possess paranormal abilities that increase as they get older and wiser. According to yōkai folklore, all foxes have the ability to shapeshift into human form. While some folktales speak of kitsune employing this ability to trick others—as foxes in folklore often do—other stories portray them as faithful guardians, friends, and lovers.

Foxes and humans lived close together in ancient Japan;[1][2] this companionship gave rise to legends about the creatures. Kitsune have become closely associated with Inari, a Shinto kami or spirit, and serve as its messengers. This role has reinforced the fox's supernatural significance. The more tails a kitsune has—they may have as many as nine—the older, wiser, and more powerful it is. Because of their potential power and influence, some people make sacrifices to them as to a deity.

Conversely foxes were often seen as "witch animals", especially during the Edo period (1603–1867), and were thought of as goblins who could not be trusted (similar to some badgers and cats).[3]



My Totem according to my birth date is the Wolf .

Wolf is the pioneer, the forerunner of new ideas, to teach and share with others what they have learned. Wolves have an enormous sense of family as well as a strong individualistic urge. Baying at moon is wolf’s desire to connect with new ideas just below the surface of consciousness, for the moon is a symbol for psychic energy. 

For more information on Totems :

Native American Totem Animals & Their Meanings – Legends of America


It is also said that you can chose a Totem through life experience.  An Animal or bird who visits you often and seem to have an influence on your life.  This would be true of the Red Tail Hawk who visits my yard frequently.  She is one of a pair who live in the area and they are currently nesting .  Their offspring are probably branchlings by now.  I have long been connected to Raptors as I spent years volunteering at a Raptor Rehab Center.  Nature is where my soul lives and I feel that the Red Tail Hawk may be my true Totem.


Easter Bunny


The Easter Bunny is another of our nation's rich Folklore ...
I was visited by two Easter Bunnies via my window well in the past week.  They both had to be rescued (picked up and put on the safe ground).  One seemed sick or injured as he made no effort to escape when I picked him up, so I took him to Willowbrook our closest nature rehab facility.  They said he was stunned but not injured and they would watch him for a few days then release him in the forest preserve.  All is well that ends well.  

And all is well here so I am wishing you all a Happy Easter Weekend and a wonderful spring week.  

Andrea@ From the Sol













7 comments:

Taken For Granted said...

That Redtail Hawk must feel comfortable in your yard. It would love to see the bunny you photographed.

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another fascinating post - and thank you for rescuing the bunny.

Taken For Granted said...

Thanks for your replay, Andrea. Always good to hear from you. I love your photos of the hawk and the bunnies. Keep that camera handy. You live in the place rich with nature.

LA Paylor said...

aweee thank you for caretaking the rabbit/nature. Respect for nature, knowing we are just part of the whole... love that.
Loved the pic of izzy too... tolerant of the crazy papparazzi picture takers!
LeeAnna

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that a Red-tailed Hawk would be a very fitting totemic bird for you, Andrea - bold, beautiful, resourceful and a devoted parent. That just about says it all. Best wishes - David

My name is Erika. said...

What a fascinating post. I've been to Japan and have seen the foxes (kitsuni) in at least 1 shrine. I like your birthday totem too. I wonder what mine is. I need to check that out because those things are always fun to do. That's a gorgeous red tailed hawk. If I go by the visiting then I'm between the bald eagle (that I often see) and bears who hit my yard. Hmmm. Have a great weekend and if you celebrate, Happy Easter. hugs-Erika

Cathy Kennedy said...

I enjoyed reading about the various folklore and Totem animals. Poor little bunnies! I'm so happy you were able to save them. This brings to mind the baby chicks in my grandparents yard. Sometimes they'd fall through the cement block retaining wall my grandpa had in place to hold the earth in place. The holes on top had not been filled in making it a trap for little critters. I remembered how we tried and tried to get them out ourselves before having to ask grandpa to help. One time he had to break the cinderblocks to rescue the little yellow downy birdies. :) Have a blessed Easter weekend, my friend!

Rain Frances Creations ... Crowns

 Crown (For the love of a tree) More images Description The crown of a plant is the total of an individual plant's aboveground parts, in...