Thursday, July 22, 2021

Thursday Art Date With Rain ... Favorite Decade

(click to enlarge for the best results ...)

 Wow, this is a hard one.  I don't think there is a decade that I wouldn't love to relive (except maybe the end of the last decade which we won't even discuss).  I decided to pick the 1960's because that was the decade that launched me into my adult life (which I am still living, thankfully). So what was going on in the 60's .... Well,

There was the election of President Kennedy, who I followed and even heard him speak on our campus ... yes, I was in college at the University of Illinois.



The top picture is the Union Building.  I would go there whenever I didn't have a class and meet with my friends  over a cup of coffee and the best ever home made sweet rolls.  I was there, in fact, when I heard about the assassination of President Kennedy.  What a heart breaking experience ...😢


College life was wonderful and the best part of it was that I met my husband there.  Life is full of surprises ... he was the roommate of a friend and we met briefly, but didn't really take an interest in each other until a year later.  Once we started dating it was a given that we had a future together.

When finally out of college, there were weddings ... not only ours, but many of our friends :)


The picture on the bottom is my friend that I grew up with.  Our Mothers were best friends and so we had known each other since grade school.  Our birthdays are on the same day which has always been fun.  She lives far from me now, but we never forget each other on our birthdays.  Two things about the wedding picture of her on the wall ... first, it was painted by my sister and second if you look closely, you will note that her vail is the same as mine :) That is because it was the "something borrowed" in my wedding.


The 1960's were certainly not all about me ... there were many things going on, both good and bad,  that made the decade memorable.In 1965 the United States entered the Viet Nam War between the Communist North and the Democratic South.  This spurred an outbreak of anti war demonstrations often on college campuses.  Thankfully I was no longer a student so I wasn't involved, but I did lose a few high school friends in the war.

Civil Rights were also being protested in the 60's led by 
Martin Luther King ... but it took the murder of three young men who were registering black voters to stir the congress to pass the Voter's Rights bill in 1965.
And Martin Luther King was also against the war in
 Viet Nam.  Sadly he was assassinated in 1968.  

  Mohammad Ali also declared himself a  conscientious objector to avoid the draft and was sentenced to a short time in jail and banned from boxing for 3 years.  
 
And not to be left out of the picture , women's rights were being pursued ...
So it was a tumultuous time, but as a new wife with my loving husband in our first home with a German Shepard (which had been a life long dream ... (ever since RinTinTin was on TV :) I was on the outside looking in and enjoying life.  Music had always been a big part of my life and the 60's bands were awesome! Just to name a few:


And, of course ...
My first attempt at the Rain method from her new channel :)

Needless to say there are many more bands I could mention, but not nearly enough space to include them all.

To wind this up because it has the potential of being way too long ...
Two more things:

My first Child was born in 1969

and the Moon landing took place a short time later in the same year.


So those are the highlights of my chosen decade.  Mind you there were others I considered, but I had to start somewhere.
Hope you enjoyed ... I revealed a lot of personal info here which I don't generally do, so let's just keep it between us :)

Andrea @ From the Sol




8 comments:

Christine said...

This was a wonderful look back at the 60s Andrea a lot happens in a decade doesnt it.

Elephant's Child said...

Lots of precious memories - for you and for the world.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of memories for you in the sixties. My daughter was born in 1966. The 60s were a good time for me - school, studies, time to have fun, getting married etc. Thanks for sharing your memories! Hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great recollections, Andrea. For those of us who lived through the sixties there is much to remember. The protest movement really made a difference didn't it? We need that kind of energy around the issue of climate change today.

Tom said...

...the '60s were a turbulent time, but the '50s when I was in grade school is my favorite! Enjoy your summer weekend.

Fundy Blue said...

Thank you for all the memories overwhelming me as I enjoy your post. The 1960s was definitely a tumultuous time. Even though I was living in Canada at the time, the American events you highlighted impacted my life greatly. I was playing in a basketball tournament when we heard about the assignation of JFK. We girls were all crying and only left watching a small black and white tv when we had to play in a game. The moon landing was amazing, but I am disappointed with our progress in space. I thought we'd have colonies on the moon and Mars by now. And the music ~ OMG! Thanks for sharing your precious personal photos. I loved Rin Tin Tin too, although I was only able to watch the show at a neighbor's house when I was in kindergarten in Charlottetown, PEI. I plan to try Rain's art lessons in the near future. Hugs to you!

NatureFootstep said...

Thanks for sharing your decade. You were a beautiful bride. I can see that.

The death of Martin Luther King frightened me a lot. I was pregnent with my daughter and her father is colored and I feared for her future. But I managed to raise her to be a proud woman in her own right!

Yes I had some good moments that year. I became a mom. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Rain said...

Andrea!!! :)))) Firstly, I'm so glad you tried my "method" with your Elvis!!! So happy to see that! :) What a post. I was born in 1968 so the 60's were not a part of my memory. I LOVE the photo of you and your hubby! Beautiful couple! :) The 60's seemed very uncertain and tumultuous for sure, but if not for that decade, humanity would not have evolved, though one could question that evolution lately may be declining sadly. I loved this post so much. Thanks for sharing and I won't tell a soul! :))))

Rain Frances Creations ... Disco

  Saturday Night Live There's John ... and then there's Bugs ... You Choose 😁 Disco was a big part of my younger years and I still...