Monday, March 6, 2017

Our World Tuesday




Do You Remember ...

Those of you who are old enough to remember the strife and the struggles of the 1960's and 70's will also remember that there were many  who led the efforts to end the Viet Nam war and to win civil rights for Everyone (including or maybe especially the blacks and the women who had been suppressed since forever).  Those were hard fought battles and I think we all knew that they were never really over because liberty and democracy need constant nurturing.  But, I am afraid we must have let our guard down because untoward forces have permeated our democracy and are determined, in the name of Profit and Greed, to bring us to our knees.  The anger and pain runs deep  every time I pick up a newspaper and read the disastrous actions of the new Administration ... and they have only just begun.
Last Night my friends, Barb and John, took me to a concert for my birthday.  The singer was Peter Yarrow ... yes, the same Peter Yarrow ( of Peter, Paul and Mary)that we used to listen to and sing along with during those difficult years in the 1960's and 70's.  His music is still relevant and inspiring  and his message of love and peace brought everyone in the theater together without a thought of who had voted for who.  He is right!  He points out that it is love and respect that will reunite our divided country,  so I thought I would share a little of his message so maybe, you too could be inspired and find a way to peace.   



Steve Yarrow and Seth Goldberg




(*See the story of this kiss down below )


    

*My friend, Barb, went to Cornell University at the same time as Peter Yarrow and used to cut her history class to go listen to him sing and play in a classroom where he was a teaching assistant (a job he took to help pay his tuition) ... this was before he had even thought about music as a career.  He said that it was while in this class that he came to realize the power of music in bringing people together and it was instrumental in his decision to leave his field of study  and join with Paul and Mary to spread the word.  When Barb told him who she was, he gave her a big kiss :)


Needless to say there were tears of joy and sadness shed at this concert ... remembering when and wishing for a future for our sons and daughters that they can thrive in.  Peace and Love to you all  ... and never underestimate what we old folks can accomplish :)

Andrea
(to appreciate this post you have to listen to the words of the music ... hope you have time, it is worth it :)

7 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

I remember the 60s and 70s, and the Vietnam War. It affected us in Canada, too, and some of our young men enlisted in the US military and died over there. And I certainly remember Peter, Paul, and Mary...
Oh, Andrea, the tears your blog post brought to my eyes. I hesitate to listen to the music, although I love and remember it well. But we have just lost part of our family (the next post after yours) and once I start crying, I won't stop.
But thank you for your wonderful words. I will listen to this, the music of my youth and young adulthood, when I feel strong enough to survive the crying. —
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and music for the times ~ what a gift for you for your birthday ~ yes, somehow 'we shall overcome' these crazy times ~ love and peace to you and your family ~ thanks,

Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^

Elephant's Child said...

The children are indeed listening. I hope they hear words of kindness more often than it seems they can currently.
Happy belated birthday - and hugs.

pilch92 said...

Happy Belated Birthday! That sounds like a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Oh I couldn't agree with you more about the new administration. I seriously can't take much more. EVERY morning I get up I am upset. I am 61 years old and never, ever remember anything like this before. BTW LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Peter!! I saw them all in person, (before Mary passed). catchatwithcarenandcody

Nita Jo said...

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! I grew up listening to Peter, Paul and Mary. This has been such a discouraging time. Thank you for sharing! Reading your words and listening to this music lifted my heart.

Jeanne said...

What a great opportunity to hear Peter Yarrow. I loved that group. Happy birthday late!!

Rain Frances Creations ... TADD, Boots

BOOTS So, we have boots on the ground all over the world, but no active fighting on our part.  Thank Heaven for peace.   Wish I could say th...