Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Wild Bird Wednesday

Wild Bird Wednesday #58
Link to Wild Bird Wednesday
 

Last Friday I went to Bong Wildlife Preserve with my friend and as we started through we both commented about how little there was to see ... but, we were wrong.  We saw a lot before it was over, starting with these adorable fledgling Tree Swallows ...

I know, they look like adults, but how do I know they are fledglings?
Because they were food begging ... this little guy, in particular, was very demanding ...

And Mom was trying very hard to please ...



The sibling fledgies were more interested in testing their new found freedoms ...

But, the littlest guy was hell bent on being catered to ...

He was actually throwing a good old fashion, foot stomping tantrum ...



 
Mom, in all of her wisdom, ignored the tantrum
 
Fed a sibling ...  
 
and left ... Motherhood is a wonderful thing :) 
(I am sure she came back to feed him ... mothers always do :) 

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Yep, motherhood is the same for two-legged, four-legged, winged creatures, human or otherwise! Delightful captures for the day, Andrea!! Hope your week is going well!

Edna B said...

Oh my, The photos of your foot stomping hungry little bird are soooo precious! My goodness, I am still giggling over them. I am so glad that you were there at that moment to capture these wonderful moments. You have brightened my day. May your day be fabulous my friend. Hugs, Edna B.

Brian King said...

LOL! He is quite the little squawker, isn't he? Nice shots!!!

Pat said...

Great series. It's so much fun to watch those babies!

Unknown said...

Wonderful,but tough!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

mick said...

Great photos - the foot stomping tantrum is a fantastic capture!

Hootin Anni said...

I LOVE!! the 'foot stomping tantrum'! Great images. I was just watching some tree swallows in our front yard [in the sky that is] after a short rainstorm. They're swift. I was unable to get any good photos.

eileeninmd said...

The swallows are adorable. Cute series of shots.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I adore Swallows and these are all wonderful~

Elephant's Child said...

Huge smiles here this morning. There is little that is more demanding than a fledgling. We watched an adult rap a baby galah firmly on the head after it had whinged, and whinged and whinged and complained. It shut up - briefly and we applauded.

Anonymous said...

So marvelous, we have the second crop of Robin fledglings about and they are so precious. xox

Neil said...

Great series, good on mum.

Unknown said...

Wonderful shots! The swallows are so cute.

Stewart M said...

Nice set of pictures - it wont be that long before we have some fledglings about.

The White-Faced Heron is about 65 - 70 cm tall - which compares with the roughly 120+ of your Great Blue Heron. I normally provide this kind of riveting detail in the post!

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M

Wally Jones said...

Wonderful series! Family life is the same for most creatures, it seems. Kids want food and freedom and return to the nest often for the food! And Moms know how to deal with 'em!

Anonymous said...

I love this! The pictures are wonderful, and made me laugh. S/he is adorable, throwing a fit like that. You really shine on posts like this.

Rain Frances Creations ... Appliances

  Appliances One has to stretch the imagination to come up with appliance art.  Sorry, no photos to share this week.  I am not in the habit ...