Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maxwell Street Blues

Maxwell Street
 
My daughter had a doctors appointment at her doctors alternative office which happened to be on Maxwell Street in Chicago.  Maxwell Street, how exciting ... for years early in our marriage we would go there to shop and even when I was working at UIC Hospital we would go over because it was close.  Maxwell Street was a mile long neighborhood famous for it's bargains, for it's milieu  and most of all for it's music.  The Maxwell Street  sound is the sound of the Chicago Blues, the basis for today's Blues and even much of what we know as Rock music.  What a delicious history ... and sadly, while I was not paying attention, it disappeared. 

The street that I found "Maxwell Street" was a block long with restored old buildings and several statues and small monuments to commemorate what had once been a thriving market full of immigrants of all colors, languages and music that reached your soul.  I wonder are these small monuments in honor of a time past or were they the Eulogy of a culture lost?   In my heart I ask ...Where is the music?


 
 











 
Johnny Lee Hooker ... Boom Boom
Maxwell Street Blues
 

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a fascinating place and your captures are terrific, Andrea! I'd love to visit there!! Hope your week is going well!

Sandee said...

I would have loved to visit here in its heyday. Yes I would have.

Have a terrific day. ☺

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

The street music was especially wonderful and though it is not on Maxwell street anymore, Chicago does have a Blues Festival every year and we can hear it there. I appreciate your comments, Sylvia ...

Andrea

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

It was a very special place and sad that it is gone. But the music does live on and that's a good thing. Thanks, Sandee

Andrea

Elephant's Child said...

What a stunning eulogy for people and places and music. Thank you.

The Queen Jester said...

My mother visited Maxwell Street when she was young. They traveled into Chicago from La Crosse by train for a very memorable weekend. I can't even imagine what it must have been like in it's day...very special I'm sure.
Thank you for including Johnny Lee Hooker's Boom Boom, one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

We used to go to Maxwell street all of the time when I was growing up. I vividly remember the street musicians. Chicago's growing industry attracted many from the South, including musicians spilling over from Memphis & St. Louis. Along with John Lee Hooker, it attracted KoKo Taylor, Muddy Waters, and even Howlin' Wolf. Delta Blues is definitely part of the roots of Rock music, as well as Rockabilly. Chicago played a part, especially with its founding of Alligator Records. Interesting post! Being married to a musician, and both being Chicagoans, this one is familiar to us! Bill played down there too.

Edna B said...

Andrea, what a fascinating post. I just love the photos. I would loved to have seen the original Maxwell Street. I also love your bird photos with the wonderful bird house. What a wonderful opportunity to be able to photograph Mom and Dad feeding the babies right at the opening of the house. Super shots! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Jeanne said...

What great shots these are Andrea! As much as i have been in Chicago, have never been Maxwell street. Will definitely put this on my to do list the next time that I am in Chicago! Hurry up Thanksgiving! hOpe you are having a great week. Did I ever tell you that I went to school at Rush... many years ago. Such an awesome city. Love your post!

Rain Frances Creations ... TADD, Boots

BOOTS So, we have boots on the ground all over the world, but no active fighting on our part.  Thank Heaven for peace.   Wish I could say th...